Thursday, October 28, 2010

ZOMG!!!1! Chocolate Chip Cookies

Seriously, who doesn't like chocolate chip cookies? I mean really. Every day in my brain chocolate chip cookies go head to head with chocolate covered berries for the title of My Favorite Dessert.

Over the course of about 5 years and many hours in the kitchen I am at the point where I can make a chocolate chip cookie that I think is 95% perfect. They are one of the handful of desserts that I make best. Now, I don't know if that 100% perfect cookie is really a unicorn but I will always look for it.

Enough bragging about my mad chocolate chip cookie baking skills. How do you make an awesome vegan chocolate chip cookie? In my opinion, eggs are completely superfluous in 99% of baked goods. Again, instead of butter you can use oil to make a very dense rich cookie, vegan margarine for a more traditional taste, or applesauce for a more cake like cookie. I use oil for the most part but when I'm making low fat cookies I substitute a good part of the oil with applesauce. Some people actually prefer this version.

As for vegan chocolate chips, my personal favorite are the Whole Foods Vegan Chocolate Chips. Enjoy Life also has great chocolate chips. The debate rages on as to whether processed sugar is vegan or not. (For those who don't know, animal bone char is used to process sugar.) If you're on the side of the debate that says processed sugar is vegan, Ghirardelli semi-sweet chocolate chips have no dairy but they do have processed sugar. I have also found some store brand semi-sweet chocolate chips that are made with processed sugar but no dairy. If you want to make chocolate chunk cookies, there are so many options for vegan chocolate, just check your local store and you will find one for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment