Saturday, November 6, 2010

I’ll Have Some Carbs With That

Mashed Potato Pizza (Personal Size)

Preface Part 1: New Haven’s Apizza 

Recently I finished my Masters degree in New Haven which is a small city in Connecticut. If you know anything about New Haven you know it is famous for its pizza. Student food habits in grad school are, well, not so different from those of students in college.  With all of that information you now know that grad students in New Haven eat LOTS of pizza. Why am I telling you all of this? 

As a vegan I clearly didn’t eat pizza with my cohorts but I did listen to them talk about eating pizza quite a bit. Apparently in one New Haven apizza you can order something called Mashed Potato Pizza. I have never seen it but I pictured it in my head many a time.

Preface Part 2: MoFo Iron Chef

I have been following Vegan MoFo around the web and came across a game that some of the bloggers are playing which is a take-off on the Iron Chef television series. Of course I’ve heard of Iron Chef but I’ve never seen it so I looked it up. Basically the person running the game/program gives the chefs an ingredient and the chefs need to come up with the best dish utilizing that ingredient. Vegan MoFo Iron Chef’s week 1 ingredient is Mashed Potatoes. 

I think I’ve only ever made mashed potatoes once in my life.  Don’t get me wrong, I love potatoes in any format but, like many people, I love starches so I try to cut back in easy/obvious places. Potatoes are one of those places. Having little experience with mashed potatoes was what made me take the leap into joining in on the Iron Chef fun.

Preface Part 3: Put it all together and what do you get?
I made Vegan Mashed Potato Pizza. Adoi
______________________________________________

Recipe Part 1:  The Crust 

I made vegan Pizza in my first post and I used the same crust for this recipe.
 
1/4 tsp yeast
2 Tbsp warm water
1/4 tsp salt
1/4 tsp granulated vegan sugar
1 Tbsp warm water
1 tsp olive oil
1/2 c flour
(optional: corn meal…cause I’m from NY)

In a big bowl mix the yeast with the 2 tbsp warm water. Set aside for a few minutes. In a small bowl mix the salt, sugar, and 1 tbsp warm water. Add the salt/sugar mixture and olive oil into the big bowl. Stir to combine as well as possible. Add in flour and knead. If all of the flour isn't sticking you may need to add more water. A little water goes a long way. Cover the bowl with a wet dish towel or piece of saran wrap. Let stand for about an hour.

When you’re ready to assemble the pizza, toss a little corn meal on your rolling surface to keep the dough from sticking to it. Roll out the crust and roll the edges to make the crust. Brush a little olive oil on the pizza crust.

Recipe Part 2: Mashed Potatoes

3-4 Baby Red Potatoes (or similar size baking potato)
¼ tsp pressed garlic
1 tbsp vegan margarine (I used Earth Balance)
1 tbsp vegan sour cream (I used Tofutti)
¼ tsp rosemary
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp onion powder
Very small dash of Dill (optional)

Peel and cut the potatoes into large chunks. Boil the potatoes in water for 15-20 minutes and drain. Place the potatoes back in the pot and mash with a potato masher or fork. Add the rest of the ingredients and mix thoroughly. Refrigerate to cool potatoes down before adding to the pizza.

Recipe Part 3: The Final Steps

Preheat your oven to 400°F. Once you have your crust rolled out, spread a layer of the mashed potatoes on the pizza.



Sprinkle your favorite vegan cheese on top.



 







Place the pizza on your stone or cookie sheet and place in the oven for about 20 minutes. Keep in mind each oven is different so start checking back on your pizza after 15 minutes.

Slice and Enjoy!








P.S. I wanted to wait until I was done to find out what the New Haven Apizza version of Mashed Potato pizza is. You know, the one my friends ate all the time.  I couldn't find any info online so I'll have to call a friend up to get the info. Will post back when I know more. Can't wait to see how it compares to my creation!

2 comments:

  1. How did you like it?? Weird! But sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It was tasty but really heavy. I couldn't eat the whole thing by myself!

    ReplyDelete